Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Aging Soloist

There seems to be three schools of thought regarding backcountry preparedness. Those who stay solo and carry a sat devise, buddy system, and those who do both. I love to go solo, but the family hates it, they are well aware of Larry's demise and I suspect the box with a panic button isn't going to sway them much either. Now that I am about to punch into my mid 60s, I have all the time in the world to go solo, as opposed to my younger days when family and career kept me close to home. Doesn't seem fair, but life seldom is. So time to "act my age" and modify some habits.

My current mindset is to gear up with high quality basics that could see me through a unforeseen situation, develop a realistic detailed itinerary for the wilderness permit, and maintain a level of physical fitness that is up to challenges of a given route. 
I will no longer show up for my permit, scribble down some obvious name on the map, then proceed to go wherever some mountain climber reported seeing lunkers in a nameless lake. No more of those shenanigans.

I am now also seriously considering signing up on a local university or commercial group trip that has an itinerary that can offer an opportunity for advanced backcounty travel. The perfect commercial or club situation would be everyone leaves and returns to the selected trailhead on the same day, but can go and do wherever their interests lead them within the given time and area framework. The group would have a designated or paid leader with signed rules of conduct and a sat devise, acting more as a babysitter and less as a guide. Some one who says "here we are, now go play."

If they are out there, let me know, I will be the first to sign up. I would much prefer to give my money to and individual offering services rather than a devise and subscription service.

No comments:

Post a Comment