Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Tale of Two Stove Systems, Part 2

This part of the story is about my love and obsession for the camp teapot design. I am talking about the traditional design with a proper handle, lid and spout. This design has been perfected to do just one task, boil water then pour it into a cup. That is what I like to do and with this design, that task can be done with the least amount of moving parts.

The Trangia teapot is my favorite design for camping. When I use it with the Trangia windscreen, the burner can boil water fast and efficient regardless of wind conditions.






But the Trangia windscreen system is heavy compared to today's ultralight standards so the the search was on for other designs that offered comparable performance and design at a fraction of the weight. The search eventually led me to Trail Designs and the Caldera Cone system for my Trangia Mini, 28 Series. The Cone really transformed the Mini from an inefficient system to one hot little setup.



 But all along, I missed the teapot. The Mini pan needs a relatively heavy lid/frying pan and the pot holder which adds to the weight and clutter of the system. There has to be a way to "cone" the teapot, and still have all the benefits of using the Mini pan and lid. A casual mix and match worked just ok, but the real issue to overcome is the teapot does not have the rolled lip that the cone requires since that is part of the support system to suspend the pan over the burner. It became obvious that I would not be satisifed in the field with such compromises, so I shelved the idea, for now. But not for long, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment