Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Gear Not Intended for Backpacking

Often I notice or work with an item that also captures my attention that it might also be used for backpacking even though thats not it's intended use. One such example is the Finis Skin Sock. I purchased these to use with my new bodysurfing fins that were slightly too large and I needed to wear something to give my foot more volume and protection. For the beach they also proved handy walking around in the sand to protect my feet from beach tar and at the public shower because, well...it's a public shower.

I decided to bring them on my last backpacking trip to also wear around camp but they have no sole so protection was minimal. What I discovered was the fine nylon and lycra weave were excellent in repelling  campground duff from sticking to the material and what did stick was easily and cleanly brushed away. Because of that and the comfortable loose fit, I decided to also sleep in them instead of socks so when I got up in the middle of the night for some "star gazing" I could quickly and cleanly slip back into the sleeping bag without bringing in a bunch of dirt.

Backpacking is a dirty business so sometimes its the little things that aid in cleanliness that can make a big difference in comfort and wellbeing. Since they are lighter than a pair of socks, I think these are going to stay in my kit and become a part of my sleep gear.


No comments:

Post a Comment