Sunday, April 10, 2016

Santa Cruz Station and Creek 2016

After a long pause from camping and hiking, I finally got a trip together to Santa Cruz creek. The Los Padres NF website said the 1st crossing was closed and  I was prepared to hike the extra 2 miles via Alisos canyon, but as it was, the gate was open to Little Oso, glad I checked. Always nice to hike only what is needed to get to a destination.


Water from the spring below Happy Hollow on the front side of the mountain. I propped the pipe up with my one of my sticks to get a clean catch.





Year or the Poppy! Distant hills were dabbed in gold.







Little Pine Spring Camp was in good shape and getting some use.



Bush Poppy on the 40 Mile Wall.





Many of the sites at Santa Cruz have suffered from the fire and drought. There is only one good one now, nearest to the cabin.


The oaks and hanging in there with fire and drought.




The flies and gnats were at there worst from mid morning to dusk. I had to cover up for that and the sun.






All and all, a very nice trip, but the fishing was tough. I did see fish, but they are not plentiful and very easily spooked.

Post trip update... poison oak on my arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment